The Logical Letters system has been a work in progress for over 35 years. The program grew in its spatial layout details and elaboration of stories as Marcy’s awareness of the diversity of dyslexic advantages grew. Each student she came to know confirmed Marcy’s belief that teaching through logical thinking and episodic memory produces the desired results. The student becomes a fluent reader and writer.
Reading The Dyslexic Advantage by Drs. Brock and Fernette Eide has been exciting and inspiring for Marcy, as it provides documented evidence of the dyslexic strengths on which the Logical Letters program was intuitively based. This new research has given credence to Marcy’s belief in this teaching methodology, and in the strength of the dyslexic mind.
Now in its more advanced state, the Logical Letters program is reflected for each student in a chart format on a legal-sized file folder. The folder begins completely blank and as the child masters each one of the 44 phonemes of the English language, that phoneme earns its place on the chart. With time, experience and great input from the dyslexic minds of students, stories have been added, embellished and adjusted to more fully explain the English alphabet system, creating a truly Logical approach to Letters.
- To the 12 students on the South Shore who provided me with my first opportunity to appreciate the unique brilliance of the dyslexic mind, I will never forget the impact you have had on my career and what has become my lifelong passion. I remember every one of you with admiration and fondness.
- To the students who have been part of Logical Letters, I am overwhelmed when thinking of how to thank you. There are no words profound enough to express what you have taught me, and how you continually inspire me. You have not only provided insight that contributed to the development of the program, but you have brought me so much pride, fun and happiness over the years. Thank you for allowing me to bear witness to the remarkable achievements that can be made by dyslexic individuals as you move forward in your careers.
- To so many remarkable educators, psychologists, pediatricians, speech/language therapists and occupational therapists in Montreal, I thank you for teaching me and believing in me throughout the years of sharing clients and creating a valuable TEAM approach. I feel an overwhelmingly huge gratitude for your continual support.
- To the wonderful specialists who work with me daily, I thank you for proving that the Logical Letters program can be taught and delivered by others, with the same results. The passion and skill you continually demonstrate make it all possible.
There are a number of renowned specialists who have stimulated the Logical Letters team with exciting research and helped us to scientifically understand the dyslexic mind.
- Dr. Sally Shaywitz, whose research has helped the Logical Letters team to “see” dyslexia and the process of reading through the use of functional brain imaging, has helped us to better understand dyslexia. Shedding this light has hugely empowered the dyslexic community. This study of dyslexia has helped Logical Letters’ students to remove any self-diagnosis of stupidity. This research has allowed our students to KNOW that their brains are not broken and they CAN become competent readers. Providing this information in simple and clear
- Drs. Brock and Fernette Eide have provided an understanding of the skills and talents that co-exist in the dyslexic mind. I respect and appreciate them for bringing a strength-based slant to the forefront of understanding dyslexia. Their book and website have supported my belief in the Logical Letters’ method of teaching and provides encouragement to so many of our students.